Herb-crusted Loin of Lamb with Chargrilled Aubergine, Goat’s Cheese & Aubergine Puree
This herb-crusted loin of lamb with chargrilled aubergine, goat’s cheese & aubergine puree is from the cookbook “New Irish cooking” by Conrad Gallagher. A smooth merging of the flavours of aubergine, cheese and lamb.
Olive oil – 5 tbsp
Aubergine sliced into 4 equal rounds – ½
Butter – 30 grams
Onions peeled and finely chopped – 2
Roasted red peppers cut into strips – 4
½ Savoy cabbage shredded
Goat’s cheese – 120 grams
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Dried breadcrumbs – 100 grams
Parsley finely chopped – 2 tsp
Chervil finely chopped – 2 tsp
Garlic peeled and crushed – 2 cloves
Lamb loins well-trimmed – 2
Lamb jus – 150 ml
Springs onions roughly chopped – 8
Thyme – 4 sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/400F/gas mark 6.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry the aubergine slices until golden on both sides. Set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil and the butter in a saucepan and sauté the red onions until soft, but do not allow them to colour.
- Add the roasted red peppers and cabbage and continue to cook until the cabbage starts to wilt. Add the goat’s cheese and stir. Season and set aside.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, herbs and garlic. Season well and set aside.
- Smear the lamb loins with another tablespoon of olive oil, season well.
- Heat the last tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and sear loins on all sides. Coat the seared loins in the herbed breadcrumbs, transfer to a roasting tin and finish cooking in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Reheat the aubergine slices in the oven.
- Gently heat the lamb jus and add the spring onions and chives.
- Reheat the goat’s cheese mixture and the aubergine puree.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and leave to rest for 1 minute before carving.
- Arrange the aubergine slices in the center of each plate and place some of the goat’s cheese mixture in a fan shape.
- Spoon some lamb jus over the plate and garnish with aubergine puree, aubergine chips and sprig of thyme. Serve immediately.
- The recipe serves 4 people.